Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Remember that day when I had a baby?

Right then, I'm five months into motherhood and feel that I can now safely think about THE BIRTH without punching my husband, crossing my legs very tightly and sobbing quietly in that order. But I'm sorry to say that there is no horror story here, in fact when I retell my tale other mummy's often begin to regard me with slight distaste due, I'm guessing, to the fact that I had it so easy. ENOUGH! I am proud to be a superstar who pops out babies with only the painkilling power of two paracetamol... so here is my story.

I decided at the very start of my pregnancy that I wanted a home birth, this was in part (I am slightly embarrassed to admit) due to the fact that I like to do what people don't think I will do. This stubbornness was strengthened by certain family members being quite adamant that I would end up in hospital with all the pain relief the NHS could offer. But as The Bump grew bigger I realised that a home birth was what I really did want and for all the right reasons. I wanted to be somewhere comfortable and relaxed, I pictured something beautiful and serene.... (but was still refusing to read the labour section of any of my pregnancy books and was steering absolutely clear of YouTube)

I spoke with my wonderful homeopath at length who has been fabulous since the idea of pregnancy occurred to hubby and I, and indeed before. I now own a mother and baby homeopathic kit and swear by it, it cleared Baby T's cradle cap in a couple of days. Lesson number 1 - USE HOMEOPATHY, it's fab. I fell pregnant in the first month of trying and had a very straightforward pregnancy due in no small part to the wonderful powers of homeopathy. It feels so natural at what is, lets face it, the time when you are going through the most natural thing in the world.

Lesson number 2 - In the great words of Burger King, HAVE IT YOUR WAY! I made it quite clear to my husband (who initially wasn't keen on the idea of home birth) that yes he is very important and yes I value his opinion but it was going to be my body going through this ordeal (I wouldn't describe it as an ordeal now but something beautiful instead) and I would be getting what I wanted. I am not normally spoilt but I did feel very strongly about this. I bought the water pool, aromatherapy oils and music that I liked and I was happy that I had everything I needed. I could chit chat about my pregnancy and labour so much I could probably crash the Internet but if you have anything you want to ask me about homeopathy or aromatherapy, or indeed anything, then please just get in touch.

Lesson number 3 - RELAX! I made sure I had lots of me time and listened to a huge amount of classical music to completely unwind. I now play the same music at Baby T's bedtime and she has always gone to bed very easily and slept through since a young age.

In fact I think it was this intense relaxation that started the labour. I had wanted Baby T to be born before Christmas but as time ticked by I resigned myself to the fact that it wouldn't happen that way. When I accepted what will be will be my waters broke that night!

I woke at four thinking they had but decided it was awfully early and went back to sleep, I woke again at seven and again considered the possibility that my waters may have broken but feeling sluggish and not convinced I stayed in bed another hour during which time I began to feel waves going down my tummy. I got up and pottered around a while and mentioned to my husband that I felt a bit funny. Having felt no twinges until now I convinced myself that what I was feeling were Braxton Hicks. At 11am I called the hospital who said they would send a midwife out to check on me to make sure. I had a shower and the midwife arrived at 12.30 expecting to check on me and leave. Leave she did not however as I was 8cm dilated. Hubby was in a complete panic and feeling inadequate at not getting the pool filled in time. Whereas I happily dropped to my knees in the lounge surrounded by the smell of roses from the oil burner and began to push.

Baby T was born at 2.05pm with no complications and made her way straight for some dinner. Then I had a pizza!

I can't pretend that it didn't hurt (but even then, it wasn't terrible and I remember it with fondness not fear) it truly was an amazing experience and other than perhaps having the birthing pool filled in time, there is nothing I would change. I do think that the most helpful thing I can say is to really think carefully about what you want, not what your husband wants or what anybody else expects of you. I understand why people opt for hospital and that's fine too. Its one of the biggest things you will ever go through so don't let anyone take it out of your hands, make it the experience you want... then it just gets better and better (I can say that at the moment when Baby T is five months but reserve the right to change my mind in, say, 13 years or so!)

Good luck to any Bump Mummy's reading this x

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Mine wasn't quite so easy but it wasn't bad at all and also with no painkillers.

    I love the way you say you do things other people think you won't do. Sounds familiar :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that pumpkinsworld. We need to spread the word to those poor mummys-to-be that labour isn't the horror show portrayed on tv and in films (eg Alien!)

    Us mums need to celebrate our stubborness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment about doing what other people think you won't do struck a chord with me - my mother often tells me I won't be able to do something and so I have to do it to prove her wrong - I wonder if she does it on purpose now!

    Your birth experience sounds lovely and although mine was completely different - hospital monitored due to meconium in the waters, gas and air and pethidene. I still look quite fondly on my experience - it isn't as bad as people make out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree KT, if it was that bad we would even consider going through it again!

    ReplyDelete